Private Study and Ensemble Auditions
Whether you have already auditioned to major or minor in music, or whether you are simply interested in pursuing your musical interests while you are at Delaware, read the following information carefully.
If you are interested in marching band, please visit the Fightin' Blue Hens Marching Band
page or call 302-831-4951 for band camp information. Marching Band Camp is held during the week before classes begin.
Private study and ensemble auditions are held the day before classes begin in both the fall and spring semesters. Ensemble Audition Requirements
.Who Must Attend These Auditions
Instrumentalists Band or Orchestra Instrumentalists Who Wish to Play in University Ensembles
- All music major or minor vocalists and band/orchestra instrumentalists
- All non-music majors with a previous music background who wish to begin or continue private study of voice or a band/orchestra instrument
- All non-music majors who wish to sing or play in a Department of Music ensemble
- All students interested in jazz ensembles or the jazz minor
- Pianists, organists and guitarists who have not already been accepted through audition for enrollment in Private Study
- Please note: Students interested in participating in Opera Workshop, Collegium Musicum or chamber ensembles are not required to audition.
Music majors and minors who play a band or orchestra instrument and who are not in Marching Band OR are in Marching Band but have a Music Department scholarship must audition for ensemble placement. Please note that students on scholarship may be required to participate in more than one ensemble. Non-majors who play a band or orchestra instrument are welcome to audition for ensemble placement as well as for acceptance into Private Study. Students may play in an ensemble (if accepted by audition) without taking Private Study, but if students take Private Study they must also enroll in an ensemble.
Non-Music Major Band or Orchestra Instrumentalists Who Wish to Audition For Private Study
Non-majors who play a band or orchestra instrument are welcome to audition for acceptance into Private Study. Students accepted for enrollment in Private Study through audition must also enroll in a large ensemble (Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, Symphonic Band). Please note that students on scholarship may be required to participate in more than one ensemble.
Audition Requirements for Band or Orchestra Instrumentalists
- Percussion, Woodwinds and Brass: All woodwind, brass, and percussion students who wish to play in a University large ensemble or who wish to study privately MUST audition with the music excerpts available in the Music Office (209 AED) or by calling 302.831.2578. This audition will place you in Wind Ensemble, Orchestra, or Symphonic Band and will serve as your audition for private study. You will be asked to play the excerpts for your instrument and to sight-read. Please request the audition excerpts as far in advance as possible and prepare them to the best of your ability.
- Strings: Please be prepared to play scales and a solo of your choice. This audition will serve as the only audition needed to place you in private study as well as orchestra.
Jazz Ensembles and Jazz Minor
The ensemble auditions consist of an optional piece or etude of your choice (jazz or non-jazz), scales, sight-reading and improvising (optional). The philosophy of the jazz program is to make every effort to give you an opportunity to exercise your musicianship in an ensemble, subject to the necessary restrictions of time and instrumentation. You do not have to be a jazz minor to play in the jazz ensembles.
Please prepare two contrasting classical works that reflect your most advanced skill level. You may also be asked to sight-read. If accepted for private study as a minor or in the merit program you are required to enroll in the accompanying class, which will satisfy the requirement for ensemble participation. Contact Ms. Nishimura (room AED 307 or 302.831.8425) immediately following your audition for more details regarding the class. If you are accepted for private study through the Honors program the accompanying class is optional.
Those interested in private study in organ should contact Dr. Herman as early as possible (firstname.lastname@example.org or 302.831.2707). Please keep in mind that all students enrolled in private study for credit must be concurrently enrolled in an ensemble.
Times and room for guitar auditions will be posted when you arrive. It will be advantageous if you have a knowledge of classical technique and can read music, but if not you should prepare a selection that shows your best and cleanest technique. If you are accepted for private study you will need to enroll in guitar ensemble. (If you are studying through the Honors program the guitar ensemble is optional.)
Vocalists Who Wish to Sing in University Ensembles
Auditions for vocal ensembles are open to all students regardless of major. Look for a sign-up sheet in the Amy E. du Pont Music Building when you arrive at the University. Vocal ensembles include Chorale, University Singers, and Choral Union (Schola Cantorum, Men's Chorus, Women's Chorus).
Fall 2012 Audition music.
Private Study Auditions For Vocal Music Majors/Minors
Incoming Freshmen/Transfer Students: Even if you have already auditioned as a voice major or minor we must hear you once more. Please sign up for an audition time, and prepare a vocal selection (No show tunes please unless that is all you have studied). Returning voice majors need not re-audition.
Private Study Auditions For Non-Music Major Vocalists
If you wish to study voice privately, including through the Honors Program, you will need to audition. Please sign up for an audition time, and prepare a vocal selection (No show tunes please unless that is all you have studied). All students enrolled in Private Study MUST sing in one of the following vocal ensembles: Chorale, University Singers, Choral Union (Schola Cantorum, Men's Chorus, Women's Chorus).
- Sign Up: for your audition time at the Amy E. du Pont Music Building when you arrive on campus. Sign-up sheets will be posted a week before the audition date, and the location of the sign-up sheets will be clearly marked when you enter the building. Sign-up sheets will indicate the rooms for the auditions.
- Be Prepared: Be sure to arrive on time for your audition, warmed up and ready to sing or play your instrument. Practice rooms are located on the bottom floor. The required audition materials for all wind, brass, string and percussion students may be requested before you arrive on campus by calling 302.831.2578. There are no required audition pieces for vocal/choral auditioners.
- Enroll: Following your audition, you will be placed in a large ensemble. You must then enroll in the ensemble and in private study through the music office within the first two weeks of class. Do this quickly once you audition to avoid paying a late fee!
If you have any additional questions, please call us at 302.831.2578. Remember, ALL auditions will be held on the date(s) listed above unless otherwise noted when you arrive to sign up. We will do our best to make you feel as comfortable as possible during the audition process and we look forward to hearing you.