Audition Procedure for UD Choral Ensembles
Auditions for Chorale, University Singers and Concert Choir in Room 118, Amy E du Pont:
Saturday, August 23 9am-12pm, 1-5pm, 6-9pm
Sunday, August 24 1-5pm, 6-9pm
Monday, August 25 9am-12pm, 1-5pm, 6-9pm
To schedule an audition time for Chorale, University Singers or Concert Choir, click here. Check your time zone on Google - apppointment times are Eastern Standard Time.
You do not need to prepare a musical excerpt in advance – Dr. Head will distribute the audition piece at the audition.
New and previous participants in University Singers must audition.
Singers who are returning to Concert Choir do not need to audition. Only those who have never participated in a UD choral ensemble need to schedule an audition time.
Everyone wishing to participate in Schola Cantorum will need to audition prior to the first rehearsal.
Evenings by apppointment with Dr. Head - August 25 and 27, September 2 and 4. More information to follow - check back in early August.
The preliminary audition for all choirs at the University of Delaware is basically the same—just show up!
The audition will take approximately 5 minutes as we work with you on the following:
· Vocal Range: We will do a series of vocal exercises to find out the lowest and highest useable register of your singing voice.
· Tonal Memory: A series of pitches will be played at the piano, after which you will be asked to sing them back. This is to see how well you hear difficult musical passages.
· Sight-reading: You will be given a simple sight-reading example simply to demonstrate how well you are able to read music. The objective is to keep going, no matter what happens. Even if you don't think you read music, simply follow the notes up when the go up, and down when they go down. Give it your best shot!
· Vocal Quality: If we haven't been able to determine enough about the overall quality of your voice by this point, we might ask you to sing a simple melody, such as Happy Birthday or My Country 'Tis of Thee without accompaniment. You do NOT need to prepare an audition piece for this hearing.
· You will also be asked which ensemble you are most interested in joining. If all things are considered equal, we will make every effort to honor that request.