The audition will take approximately 5 minutes as we work with you on the following:
The preliminary audition for all choirs at the University of Delaware is basically the same—just show up!
· Vocal Range: We will do a series of vocal exercises to find out the lowest and highest useable register of your singing voice.
· Tonal Memory: A series of pitches will be played at the piano, after which you will be asked to sing them back. This is to see how well you hear difficult musical passages.
· Sight-reading: You will be given a simple sight-reading example simply to demonstrate how well you are able to read music. The objective is to keep going, no matter what happens. Even if you don't think you read music, simply follow the notes up when the go up, and down when they go down. Give it your best shot!
· Vocal Quality: If we haven't been able to determine enough about the overall quality of your voice by this point, we might ask you to sing a simple melody, such as Happy Birthday or My Country 'Tis of Thee without accompaniment. You do NOT need to prepare an audition piece for this hearing.
· You will also be asked which ensemble you are most interested in joining. If all things are considered equal, we will make every effort to honor that request.