Applicants can use a play-along accompaniment track (iReal Pro, Jamey Aebersold or other), or have a live accompaniment (video or in-person). If you would like faculty to accompany you in-person, please bring a few copies of a lead sheet or chord chart with you, especially if you will be performing a non-standard tune.
We’re looking to hear proficiency on your instrument, confidence in your chosen style of playing, and some level of experience with improvising. We encourage you to choose music that reflects your musical personality, individuality, and goals.
Auditions are usually 15 minutes in length and will include a short interview.
Audition Requirements (approximately 10 minutes of music)
- One etude, solo transcription, or piece from the classical repertoire for your instrument.
- One tune with melody and improvisation.
- One blues melody and improvisation.
- All 12 major scales.
- You may be asked to sight-read a short passage.
Rhythm section instrument:
- Demonstrate traditions specific to your instrument.
Piano, Guitar, Bass:
- Comp or walk on chord changes.
- Demonstrate different feels: swing, Latin, funk.
- Be able to solo in these styles, trade fours, eights, etc.…
- Demonstrate the basic snare drum rudiments.